Tuesday, 25 October 2011
Linking to the Weekly Story at Patricia's Colours Decor.
Wednesday, 19 October 2011
I had this off-white plain cushion cover which I decided to give a makeover by hand painting it with Acrylic colors. I took inspiration from a Madhubani painting by Vidushini, which I found on web. Since I could not trace it so I drew it free-hand on the cushion cover, and proceeded to fill colors. I selected colors that I wanted to incorporate in my existing Decor.
Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the making since I wasn't sure of the outcome, since this is the first time I've tried my hand at fabric painting.
Here's the pic of the half-finished project..
Hmm didn't look that bad to me, but the area on left side looked blank, so I decided to draw something on the left corner to balance it, also I painted the base color to copper. Here's the pic which my son took for me..
And here comes the finished product, TA DA-AA...
And now its time to experiment with the placing, I've tried it out in several ways,please do tell me your opinion on the same.
Please be honest but try not to be too harsh please!! Do consider this is my first project of this kind, and there's always scope for betterment in the next project.
So please have a dekko n KEEP INSPIRING ME AS ALWAYS!!!!!!!!
Finishing this project gave me immense pleasure, and a much needed break from my daily routine even if the break was only for an hour everyday! Creative hobbies like these also serve as memory boosters besides being the stress buster.
OOPS ...Sorry got a little carried away !!
If you like this post do feel free to register your reaction by clicking on the quick button at the end of this post, need that morale boosting :)
If you don't, no prob-ss... I'm not going to stop anyway, already started the next DIY!!!!!!
By the way linking to Patricia's blog Colours Decor for the weekly blog party
Giveaway & The Weekly Story ~ wk 54. Wish me luck! Too nervous though, already biting my nails!!
Thanks for visiting. And I really value and appreciate your comments on my blog!!!!
Have a smart living!!!!!!
Monday, 17 October 2011
In this post I have decided to share with you some ancient techniques advocated in Yoga to enhance memory. The following Yogic postures are very easy to do and very effective in enhancing Memory, anyone can safely do these at home. An additional benefit is that besides improving cognitive power, Yoga ensures holistic well being of an individual by harmonizing Body, Mind, and Soul, and is also a great stress buster.
Yogic Suksma Vyayama (Enhancer of Memory)
o Stand absolutely straight with your feet close together.
o Fix your gaze at a spot on floor about a meter away from you.
o Your spine, neck, and knees should be straight.
o Concentrate your mind on “”Shahastrar Chakra”.
o Inhale deeply, with force.
o Now exhale with equal force.
o Do this for 25 times.
· This exercise is extremely beneficial for mental health.
· It treats forgetfulness.
· It improves Memory.
· It also relieves Mental Stress.
· Yogic Suksma Vyayam’s are relatively unknown but are highly effective and relatively easy to do. Anyone can do these without any expert help.
Shashankasana (Hare Pose)
o Sit with legs folded backwards, heels apart, knees and toes together.
o Adjust your hips between the heels (Vajrasana). Slowly raise your arms over the head.
o While exhaling, slowly bend forward and stretch your palms on the floor with abdomen pressing against the thighs.
o Then bring your face downwards and touch the floor with the forehead without raising the buttocks. Inhaling slowly, return to an upright position.
· This Asana increases blood flow to brain, improving brain health and thereby improving memory.
· This asana strengthens the muscles of the legs and thighs and makes them supple.
· It tones up the spinal nerves and helps in relieving arthritic pain.
· It is an excellent asana for digestion.
o Lie down on your stomach; keep the palms on the ground on both sides of the chest. The elbows should be lifted upwards and the shoulders should be close to the chest.
o The legs should be straight and joined together.
o The palms should be stretched facing the spine and resting on the ground.
o Inhale and raise the chest and head upwards.
o The area below the navel should rest on the ground.
o Raise the head and move the neck backwards as much as you can.
o Remain in this position for 30 seconds.
o Repeat 3-5 times.
· This Asana is very good for Thyroid and Parathyroid glands. It is a well known fact that Hypothyroidism is a major cause of forgetfulness in people above 50 years of age.
· This Asana is good for stomach.
· This Asana strengthens the spine.
Do not practice this asana in case of hernia.
That’s all for this post. Before signing off let me tell you that Sheersasana and Surya Namaskar are other well known Asanas that improve Memory but they are difficult and are not safe for Hypertensive so they must always be done under expert guidance, only after being approved by a qualified physician. This is why I did not discuss them here. The exercises that I have chosen are easy and safe, only people who are suffering from any kind of heart disease must consult their physicians before attempting any new form of exercise. So try these for enhancing your cognitive power and enjoy holistic wellness via smart living.
Wednesday, 12 October 2011
It was gorging on this ring shaped wafer undettered by our squeals and attempts to click it from various angles.
There's one more reason of sharing this on this blog space, it turned out to be quite a stress-buster. It had been a particularly hectic day for my hubby and me, and we were exhausted both mentally and physically. But this unusual sight transported us to our childhood, when everything was done for sheer pleasure, when we didn't require big feats to be happy!
This served as a reminder that there is a higher force, the Creator, and He provides for all of us, including this humble creature! So why fret for minor things, instead seek pleasure in your day to day activity, this will give each of us enough positivity to cruise through life and its queer twists and turns with ease!!
Thank You God for all things beautiful n bright!
Thank You God for this wonderful insight!!
Tuesday, 11 October 2011
Raw Papaya (Peeled & grated)-2 cups,
Sugar-3/4 cup,(you may use 1 cup if you prefer it sweeter)
Olive Oil (extra virgin)-2 tsp,
Milk (skimmed)-2 cups,
Cardamom Pd-1/2 tsp,
Khoya, Almonds, Pistachio, Raisins-For garnishing
- · Microwave grated papaya, on high, in a closed lid microwave safe bowl, for 10 minutes. Alternatively, you may cook it in a pressure cooker, on high flame, to full cooking pressure, and then remove from heat. The idea is to semi cook it, while retaining its nutrients.
- · Now transfer this semi-cooked papaya to an open vessel/Kadhai, add milk and cook on high flame till the milk boils, then cook it on low flame till the milk dries, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking to the base of the vessel.
- · The papaya must be fully-cooked and tender now. Now add sugar, mix it well and now cook on high flame, stirring continuously, till it assumes a golden hue, cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes more. Add cardamom pd, you may use any cardamom but the brown one tastes better in this recipe. Turn off heat.
- · Now add E. v Olive Oil, remember you must not cook extra virgin olive oil, just add it to the dish when its still hot, it will increase the nutritional value of your dessert and give it an exotic flavor.
- · Place the dessert in a bowl, add crumbled khoya as garnish.
- · Garnish liberally with sliced almonds (4-5), pistachios (8-9), raisins.
- · Relish this extremely healthy dessert while its still hot.
This variant of Papaya Halwa is extremely healthy especially for Hypertensive, Diabetics may use Sugar-free instead of sugar.
There are many recipes for making Papaya Halwa but this is the way I make it for my family, now you can see what a health freak I am
You may use homemade ghee instead of olive oil for your kids, then add it before adding sugar, rest of the procedure being the same.
So this was a healthy dessert recipe for ya al, do try it and feel free to give me feedback, your comments are extremely valuable.
Time out folks, watch this space for more health switches and health tips , remember you must choose well to stay well, so choose smartly.