In this post I have decided to share with you some ancient techniques advocated in Yoga to enhance memory. The following Yogic postures are very easy to do and very effective in enhancing Memory, anyone can safely do these at home. An additional benefit is that besides improving cognitive power, Yoga ensures holistic well being of an individual by harmonizing Body, Mind, and Soul, and is also a great stress buster.
Yogic Suksma Vyayama (Enhancer of Memory)
o Stand absolutely straight with your feet close together.
o Fix your gaze at a spot on floor about a meter away from you.
o Your spine, neck, and knees should be straight.
o Concentrate your mind on “”Shahastrar Chakra”.
o Inhale deeply, with force.
o Now exhale with equal force.
o Do this for 25 times.
· This exercise is extremely beneficial for mental health.
· It treats forgetfulness.
· It improves Memory.
· It also relieves Mental Stress.
· Yogic Suksma Vyayam’s are relatively unknown but are highly effective and relatively easy to do. Anyone can do these without any expert help.
Shashankasana (Hare Pose)
o Sit with legs folded backwards, heels apart, knees and toes together.
o Adjust your hips between the heels (Vajrasana). Slowly raise your arms over the head.
o While exhaling, slowly bend forward and stretch your palms on the floor with abdomen pressing against the thighs.
o Then bring your face downwards and touch the floor with the forehead without raising the buttocks. Inhaling slowly, return to an upright position.
· This Asana increases blood flow to brain, improving brain health and thereby improving memory.
· This asana strengthens the muscles of the legs and thighs and makes them supple.
· It tones up the spinal nerves and helps in relieving arthritic pain.
· It is an excellent asana for digestion.
o Lie down on your stomach; keep the palms on the ground on both sides of the chest. The elbows should be lifted upwards and the shoulders should be close to the chest.
o The legs should be straight and joined together.
o The palms should be stretched facing the spine and resting on the ground.
o Inhale and raise the chest and head upwards.
o The area below the navel should rest on the ground.
o Raise the head and move the neck backwards as much as you can.
o Remain in this position for 30 seconds.
o Repeat 3-5 times.
· This Asana is very good for Thyroid and Parathyroid glands. It is a well known fact that Hypothyroidism is a major cause of forgetfulness in people above 50 years of age.
· This Asana is good for stomach.
· This Asana strengthens the spine.
Do not practice this asana in case of hernia.
That’s all for this post. Before signing off let me tell you that Sheersasana and Surya Namaskar are other well known Asanas that improve Memory but they are difficult and are not safe for Hypertensive so they must always be done under expert guidance, only after being approved by a qualified physician. This is why I did not discuss them here. The exercises that I have chosen are easy and safe, only people who are suffering from any kind of heart disease must consult their physicians before attempting any new form of exercise. So try these for enhancing your cognitive power and enjoy holistic wellness via smart living.